Tuesday, July 29, 2008

At home with Nadia Myre


Scar Project

To visit Nadia Myre's studio, my friend Dana and I took a tiny ferry from Hudson, Quebec, across the Ottawa River to Oka.

The studio is in a converted fire station in the small town of Saint-Andre D'Argenteuil, about 20 minutes or so from Oka and the nearby Mohawk community, Kanesatake . She lives upstairs.



Indian Act


It's Nadia's first year in the lower Laurentian Art Festival, Routes des Arts.

She's a soft spoken woman who identifies as Algonquin, though she's spent most of her time in Montreal and other cities, and therefor separated from the reservation community. "I don't know much about what it means to be Indian," she says, smiling. "Though maybe I know an awful lot about what it is to be Indian."




Dana and I were invited to sew our own scars. So we did.

Nadia Myre Home

No comments:

Post a Comment